Incorporated in 1987, Peppers Marquees Limited remains a family business. Its origins can be traced to 1913 when Thomas Walter Pepper moved to the market town of Snaith, East Yorkshire. With a horse and dray and some simple catering equipment, he provided facilities under canvas for local agricultural shows and village galas. Newspaper reports record that in 1914 Thomas served beer and refreshments in a tent at Bubwith Show. Later that year he rented land at Doncaster Racecourse for the St Leger meeting, paying £9 to erect a temporary booth.